The Praetorian Guard is a level 7 Roman unique Heavy Infantry unit unlocked in the Gunpowder Age. Its predecessor is the Caesar's Legion. It can be upgraded to become an Praetorian Fusilier. It is researched in a level 6 blacksmith. It replaces the halberdier.
- Praetorian Guards can damage buildings very easy and quickly. They are also good against cavalry.
- Praetorian Guards would attack the closest building on front of them but when attacked by an enemy troop; will fight back.
- Praetorian Guards can get destroyed easily by Splash Damage Structures such as mortars.
- Praetorian Guards are weak against other infantry.
- As a Roman unique unit, Praetorian Guards has 25% more health than the standard halberdiers they replace.
"The Praetorian Legion was the Roman Emperors' personal bodyguard, stationed in Rome to protect the ruling power from external or internal threat. Created by the Emperor Augustus, the Praetorians were stationed outside of Rome, but brought into the city later by Tiberius, giving them significant political power in the Eternal City. Cohorts of Praetorians would sometimes be used as part of a Roman army, such as in Mark Anthony's invasion of Parthia.The Praetorians were the best soldiers in the known world, and were often employed to crush rebellions throughout the Empire."
Attacking Strategies Edit
- If used in large groups; Praetorian Guards can be devastating and can destroy a base easily; if not in heavy fire.
- Mortars are devastating against Praetorian Guards and can kill a group of them in a few hits if in the range of the impact. Spread your Praetorian Guards around so the catapult would have to hit each Praetorian Guard to kill it and that its impact would not affect other Praetorian Guards as well or deploy a few heavy cavalry to destroy it.
- Use ranged infantry such as arquebusiers to support Praetorian Guards.
- Praetorian Guards can be used as a distraction for many defenses and can help protect ranged infantry such as arquebusiers from heavy fire from defenses.
Defensive Strategies Edit
- This unit is based in real life Praetorian Guards, who, for a time, were the bodyguards of the Roman Emperors. However, by the Gunpowder age (aprox. 15th - 17th Century) they would have been obsolete.
- In real life, the Praetorian Guard was disbanded in 312 by Constantine the Great.
- Although supposedly protectors, the Praetorian Guard became infamous for overthrowing and killing Emperors.
|DomiNations Wiki Navigation|
|Ages • Artifacts • Blessings • Buildings • Coalitions • Events • Gameplay Mechanics • Generals • Leagues • Mercenaries • Multiplayer • Nations • Resources • Single Player Campaigns • Tactics • Technology • Troops • Troop Tactics • Wildlife • Fan Contributions|