"Well-armed and plentiful, these troops are effective at tearing down enemy buildings"
The Pikeman is a level 6 standard Assault Infantry unit unlocked in the Medieval Age. Its predecessor is the Phalanx and it can be upgraded to the Halberdier. It is researched in a level 5 blacksmith.
General Information Edit
- Pikemen can damage buildings very easy and quickly. They are also good against cavalry.
- Pikemen would attack the closest building on front of them but when attacked by an enemy troop; will fight back.
- Pikemen can get destroyed easily by Splash Damage Structures such as catapults.
- Pikemen are weak against other infantry.
- Pikeman are also a close ranged unit, their range is melee.
Historical Description Edit
"A Pikeman wields a long wooden spear with a metal head, ranging from 8 to 25 feet in length. Pikes first appeared in Europe in the Middle Ages. The order of battle of pikemen was reminiscent of the phalanx formation, where infantry wielding long spears would act as a deadly spear wall. When their detachment got isolated during battle, pikemen often deployed in squares, presenting a dangerously spiky front in all directions, making things particularly uncomfortable for cavalry. They saw use for centuries until the development of gunpowder firearms and cannons rendered the concept of men piled up making a tight melee wall obsolete."
Mediterranean: Like a Byzantine soldier, with bronze armour and a plume.
North European: iron armor, with long wooden spear with a steel knife at top
Attacking Strategies Edit
- If used in large groups; pikemen can be devastating and can destroy a base easily; if not in heavy fire.
- Catapults are devastating against pikemen and can kill a group of them in a few hits if in the range of the impact. Spread your pikemen around so the catapult would have to hit each pikemen to kill it and that its impact would not affect other pikemen as well or deploy a few heavy cavalry to destroy it.
- Use ranged infantry such as crossbowmen to support pikemen.
- Pikemen can be used as a distraction for many defenses and can help protect ranged infantry such as crossbowmen from heavy fire from defenses.
Defensive Strategies Edit
- The level 5 garrison can train up pikemen to help defend the village from attackers. Put the garrison defended and inside walls. That way, the garrison can train pikemen without getting attacked for a short amount of time. It is suggested that a garrison should be close to the Acropolis since training pikemen would be more quicker than usual.
- The level 2 ambush trap deploys pikemen when triggered by enemy troops are too close to it. It is suggested to put in areas where enemies may deploy in heavy cavalry.
A pike, like a phalanx, is an extremely long spear. Pikemen would often form squares, and were deadly to cavalry.
|DomiNations Wiki Navigation|
|Ages • Blessings • Buildings • Coalitions • Events • Gameplay Mechanics • Generals • Leagues • Mercenaries • Multiplayer • Nations • Resources • Single Player Campaigns • Tactics • Technology • Troops • Wildlife • Fan Contributions|